Green Elms are very proud to announce that they have been accredited as a ‘Dementia Friendly’ Practice following a very vigorous application process in July 2016.
Some of the criteria for obtaining this status included:
- Providing dementia awareness training to all staff
- All Practice staff to have awareness and understanding of how people are affected by dementia, this will help to ensure that people living with dementia and their carers receive good quality service when visiting the practice.
- Reminders to be put on patient computer records
- Staff are aware that it is difficult for dementia patients to attend early appointments and that they often forget that appointments have been made.
- The surgery always offers later appointments in order to provide a telephone reminder service on the day.
- Clinicians are aware of timing issues for dementia patients and always aim for flexibility with times and length of consultations, for example booking double appointments so more time can spent on patient care and review.
- Dementia Friendly Environment
- Signage with pictures rather than words.